Wednesday, December 21, 2005

FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE ON EBAY

 
I have had several successful transactions on eBay but my recent transaction left me utterly distressed. I bid for a DSLR and was successful. Then I made the payment using PayPal. These are the responses from the seller:

First email after payment had been made through PayPal

We hope you enjoy your purchase. Your payment has been received for the following
item:

Item title: Olympus USA EVOLT E-500 8 MP 2 Lens Kit 3 YR Warranty
Web Address: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7570781736
Item number: 7570781736

Second email after payment had been made through PayPal

Unfortunately we are unable to complete this transaction as the address on file is not a confirmed one. We will be refunding your PayPal payment shortly. If you would like this item shipped to your address in Malaysia you will need to pay via a Bank Transfer or Western Union.

As far as the three year warranty is concerned I do not believe it would be honored by your local dealer, but I am not sure.

As those of you who have traded on eBay and registered with PayPal would know, PayPal cannot confirm your credit card billing address if you are not resident in USA. The seller I am dealing with is a seasoned trader on eBay with a long record of positive feedbacks and he should know that when he offers his cameras for sale or auction "worldwide" he will have buyers from countries outside USA, like me, whose credit card billing address cannot be confirmed and if he doesn't want to take the risk then he shouldn't do business with us. Now I have to wait for him to refund me the USD944 that I have already paid him for the item.





 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

elb said...

Hello, the eBayer you were dealing with did not say that he would not deal with you - he did inform you, albeit a bit late (or maybe he did stipulate it earlier in the small print but you did not notice it?):

'If you would like this item shipped to your address in Malaysia you will need to pay via a Bank Transfer or Western Union.'

He put it as 'worldwide' because he is willing to ship internationally (with perhaps the exception of Indonesia, Russia and a couple of others).

As for Paypal, well it is very convinient - for those of us who have it, and have verified accounts. and oh, it can be verified at other places besides the USA - UK being an example.

p.s. My personal advise would to be to buy a dSLR/ lenses etc direct from a proper store - that way you can test your potential purchase properly instead of relying on a 'lottery'.

virgorat said...

patrick,
Thank you for your comment. My PayPal account is verified but the credit card billing address is not confirmed which is not my fault because PayPal cannot confirm credit card billing addresses from outside USA.