Thursday, August 04, 2005

Arowanas







On the evening of 10th September 2001 we boarded the Amtrak at Chicago Union station, bound for Washington DC, a journey of 16.5 hours. After travelling for 13 hours the train came to a dead stop somewhere in Virginia and did not move for nearly 3 hours. When we enquired what the matter was, the conductor was of no help, other than telling us that if we were in a hurry we could get off the train and find our own way. I took out my little transistor radio which I had bought in Malaysia and searched for one of the FM stations and it was then that we learnt about the tragedy of 11th September 2001. After coming back from the States we decided to stop travelling for a while and I took up fish-keeping, a favourite hobby of mine in my youth. I started with "flower-horns" since those were the craze at that time and ultimately switched to arowanas, discus fish, marine fish and also planted aquarium. I had two 5'x2.5'x2' aquariums custom-made at the cost of RM2350 for my Indonesian Chilli Red and my Malaysian x-back, in addition to several other smaller aquariums of varying sizes. I was deeply into this hobby for 1.5 years before I sold everything and started travelling again. I miss the hobby and the photographs of my arowanas bring back fond memories.

1 comment:

fishtail said...

Great pics. I used to have an arowana too, bought from an orang asli, but it died :(