Thursday, July 21, 2005

Senior Citizens & The Net


Friends and relatives in my age group, popularly known by the euphemism of "senior citizens", often shamelessly declare that they do not own computers, much less surf the net. They say that the last time there was a computer in their home was when the children were still in school. After their children grew up, went to college and flew the coop there was no longer any computer in the house. When I pointed out to them that they were living in the 21st century and that there was a lot that they were missing by not using the computer, e.g. the wealth of knowledge out there in cyberspace, the online news, entertainment and music, the ability to pay bills online without having to join long queues every month, they were not moved. The general concensus of opinion was that being "senior citizens", they were already too old to learn. I am starting this blog not so much because I feel that I have anything interesting or wise to contribute but more with the hope that I shall be able to make contact with people of my age and similar interest in surfing the net and reading what others have to say. If there is any such person out there I hope he/she will kindly leave a comment.

1 comment:

Marian/Bonnie said...

Hi. I'm Marian Trotter, age 63. I love your blog idea because I'm trying to conquer cyberspace. If you're interested, please check out my blog site, "Cyber-phobe Diaries":

http://cyberphobediaries.blogspot.com

May I have permission to establish a link to your site on mine?