Sunday, September 11, 2005

IS LONGEVITY AN IMPORTANT ISSUE?

When you are my age, nearly 3 score and ten, whether longevity is an important issue or not becomes a valid question. Many contemporaries of mine are so concerned with longevity that they are constantly obsessed with their health. They may be very careful with their money with other things but where their health is concerned they do not mind splurging on expensive and seemingly worthless things. A neighbour of mine who is of the same age is very careful with her money but she does not mind spending a bundle on underwear lined with magnetic beads which are supposed to induce better blood circulation and bracelets of crystal beads which, she is told by the salesperson, will help to regulate her karma and contribute generally to her well-being if she wears them on her wrist. There are others who will spend lavishly on "health food" and other food supplements which they have been told will contribute to their good health and keep all the ailments of old age at bay.
I always tell people of my age group that as we grow older we become uglier and, as far as I am concerned, I would prefer to go while I still look good. Longevity is not what I aspire to achieve. Quality of life is more important to me. I would rather prefer to be able to enjoy every 24 hours that I have to the fullest and not worry about how many more 24 hours I am going to have. What is the point of living up to a ripe old age of 90 years when you have to spend the last 10 years in a horizontal position ravaged by disease or old age, relying on others to help you endure the misery and suffering for another 10 years? Of course we have no control over how and when we have to go; that is the prerogative of a higher being. However, we have reasonably ample control over how we are going to spend the next hour and if we are going to throw that hour away by dwelling on our obsession with old age and good health instead of going out and enjoying ourselves and be thankful that we have one more glorious hour to enjoy then longevity will be meaningless.

No comments: